I named myself The Crafting Professor, since I'm a crafter, and I'm a college professor. I went through many, many years of graduate school, and the best source of relaxation and stress relief was being in my craft room or going to a local crop. Back then, I never told anyone that I was a full-time graduate student. I was waiting for the day I would scrapbook my graduation page. Now, I run the ScrapbookerPhD challenge blog (http://scrapbookerphd.blogspot.com), and am bringing my passion for crafting and teaching together. But here, at The Crafting Professor, I'm just sharing my work with like-minded crafters from all over the world.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Going DARK

Time to do something totally DIFFERENT. I'm Going DARK with this one. I so rarely create a truly creepy card, not even for Halloween, but it was time to give it a try, and Punk You Girl was having an Anything Goes challenge, as long as it is dark or gothic. I started with a skull die cut. I only used the black layer so it would be "creepy" and would pop off of any color or pattern in my stash. WRONG! I couldn't find a pattern or color that looked "creepy" with the skull.

I tried animal print, but it was too much design and not so creepy. 
I tried basic pattern, but it was too soft and cute. 
I tried music paper in a rock style - no, not even close. I needed inspiration.

I decided to create my own background; something I have never done before (Haunted Design House). I smeared Slate ink (CTMH: Z2173) with Hematite glitter, and I loved the look. I still loved my skull in the corner of the edge. Now what? Ugh. 


Back to the drawing board. I thought the spiders mimicked the jagged edge of the frame, so I lined them up across the top. The spiders actually have jewels in the middle. And then used a jagged circle for the word, Fright. At this point EVERYTHING was black and white (Even the word Fright). I had NO color on the card. 

Believe it or not, my GO TO color with black, white, and silver is hot pink, but that just didn't look right. Then, Left of Center announced a Christmas Challenge*, and my colors were chosen: red and green and white gems, with red for the word. *This probably doesn't count for the challenge, but the inspiration is there. I'm really, really please with the final product, especially changing up my style and really using products in a different way.

You should try changing up your style now and then, too. 


Challenges 
Punk You Girl - Anything Goes
Haunted Design House - Reuse in a new way


8 comments:

  1. I think you did a smash up job of "going dark". The custom background looks wonderful and it gives great contrast for the die cuts and embellies.
    Thanks for joining us at HDH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card perfect for our anything goes challenge thanks for joining in at Punk You Girl
    Kay (Owner)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card, I love your background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love this back ground Faith and how you did the bottom of your card backgrounding it. Very unique. The one bling is very cool too. You really have a flair for unique and wonderful!!! Thanks for coming to PYG and best of luck. Hugz, Samara DT x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the dark side! Looks like you were born to it. LOL Really fabulous card. The background is perfect for your skellie and the border and spiders add to the lovely creepy feel. thanks so much for playing in the dungoen with us at HDH and just so you know, as long as you go dark, you don't have to follow the actual theme at LOC, but I think this makes a fab Creepmas card. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for venturing into the Dark Realms with your fabulous creation. Love the background and the spiders. Hope to see you again over at HDH. THANK YOU FOR COMING TO PLAY WITH US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card - thanks for sharing at PYG - good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous card! I love it! I'm sorry my comment is late, but thanks for sharing your creation with PunkyouGirl! mo xxx

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful that you stopped by my blog. Follow me for more exciting ideas, and leave a comment below.